The National Veterinary Institute (SVA) in Uppsala was appointed EURL for Campylobacter by the European Commission, DG for Health and Food Safety, on the 1st of July 2006.
The function of the EURL- Campylobacter website is primarily to provide information to the National Reference Laboratories (NRLs) in the European Member States, but could also be useful for other laboratories that perform Campylobacter analyses.
The main functions and duties of the EURL are stated in Article 94 of Regulation (EU) 2017/625. These include annual activities such as:
- Organization of proficiency tests for the NRLs to detect and quantify Campylobacter spp. in different types of matrices.
- Organization of annual workshops.
- Evaluation and development of analytical methods.
- Providing scientific and technical assistance to the European Commission and to the NRLs.
- Communication and cooperation with public health laboratories.